Haskell is a language that is pretty hard to “just pick up” (especially if you are mostly familiar with mainstream, C-derived languages). Perhaps “Real World Haskell” by Bryan O’Sullivan, Don Stewart, and John Goerzen will help the language (much beloved in academia) increase in popularity.
In reaction to No Silver Programmers, several people have spoken to the compounding benefits of good programmers (or the compounding pain of bad programmers). This is an excellent point. I think it’s best put in <a href=”http://www.valuedlessons.com/2008/01/garlic-programmers-for-silver-code.html”” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>this blog post, which takes the focus away from the developers and speaks of the quality […]
She’s got to get a CT to confirm, but basically the Doctor told her “no problem.” So ends probably the least-productive week of the past several years… My sincere thanks to everyone who got in touch and kept us in your thoughts. It really helped.
Sometimes I move a penny around on a poster, but this tutorial of creating a Popfly mashup takes things up a notch.
My initial reaction to this is fear that Sun will try to force things a little too hard. When I think of MySQL, I think of ease-of-use and reliability. When I think of SQL Server and Oracle, I think of the ancillary tools and the fierceness with which DBAs cling to their specialized knowledge. DBAs […]
Actually, just a brief post. LINQ has injected into the mainstream a whole range of functional programming topics previously seen as esoteric. Putting aside the merits of each of them, the interesting dynamic to watch will be if these approaches generate a new sub-niche of programming. For instance, C++ templates led to template metaprogramming, just […]
In response to “No Silver Programmers,” a commenter points out: Say I’m a pretty good developer and there’s this guy who is 5x worse than me, meaning it takes him a full work week to finish what i will finish in a day. but then, what happens when it has 3x as many bugs, and […]
Someone who should know better gave a commencement address based on the premise “5% of programmers are 20x more productive than the other 95%.” This is utter BS and it’s important to say so. First, as boring as it may be to say “we don’t have the data,” go to scholar.google.com and find me a […]
Tina was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 29 and we were newlyweds. Two years ago, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I got home from a business trip to find out that her routine dental x-rays had led to a referral to a dental surgeon because two things might be cancerous. One a shadow, […]